TDS Routing problem
- Check out http://192.168.0.1 (or
whatever the URL of your router (dsl modem) admin page is)
- from the 'status' page, check out 'routing table'
- anyone on our subnet is going to be 69.129.(number from
- so that's me, you, and atticus, apparently
- so any packet sent to any of our addresses will be sent to the
gateway specified on the second line, with destinaion=188.8.131.52,
- the problem is gateway=0.0.0.0
- that means 'don't route it'
- hence, if you try to send packets to someone on the same subnet,
your router ignores them and they don't get through
- ok, so how you fix this......
- click the 'setup' tab
- then click 'advanced setup'
- then click the 'begin advanced setup' button
- then click 'static routing'
- ok, this is another funny thing...
this page might already show a custom route that has been set up
that will override that 184.108.40.206 -> 0.0.0.0 entry with
220.127.116.11 -> 18.104.22.168
(22.214.171.124 is a router at the telephone building)
(that's where we want our packets to go, rather than being ignored)
but for some reason the rule is being ignored
- so what I do is
- remove tha rule
- restart the router
- add the rule again:
subnet IP = 126.96.36.199,
subnet mask = 255.255.240.0,
gateway IP = 188.8.131.52
- restart the router again
- Of course, if your custom static routes box is empty, you can skip
the 'remove and restart' steps. You will probably have to do them
next time though.
- that should to it -__o